Thursday, January 24, 2013 :: Year 2012


In the blink of an eye, it is now the start of 2013.
So many things happened in 2012 that I find it hard to find a suitable word to describe its complexities.

Let’s start from me wearing that graduation hat in Aug/Sept – officially graduated with a degree in Business Management majoring in Finance. It sounds really tough and truth is, it seemed to just pass me by breezily. But on second thoughts, there are months where I struggled through projects, working late into the night, forgoing my sleep just to complete project work and manage VGY at the same time. My friends know me as a self proclaimed “freelance” student because I am forever missing from classes – right from DAY 1 till the end of school. As you have guessed, not listening in on any of the classes made me struggle hard to study the entire damn textbook on my own just 2 weeks before exams. I am surprised I did not fail any modules given I have a terrible nickname “last minute queen”. It came to a point my classmates got so surprised with my grades despite the usual complaints and nervousness just before entering the exam hall swearing “I will fail this” that they called me bluff – I couldn’t find someone to confide in my nervousness and fear before the exam. But then again, I am thankful I have the couple few friends whom helped me out with revisions just before the exam to name a few, Ryan, Jun Xian, Elvin, Idah, Sharifah. Yes, they are the same people who called me bluff haha. I am pretty anti-social in school and I stuck with these few friends from year 1 till the end. To the rest, I am sorry if we had been in the same class but I have never spoken to you – definitely not an ice queen but I am really shy, geez.

Getting the graduation hat was a milestone because I paid for my own studies which amounted to $30++k. On top of that, managing constant stress of having a $100k debt which I have to repay after my graduation – that I don’t wish to go into details again. If you had been a loyal reader, you would know what happened. Business is always risky and to lose $100k in the course of it is a hard hard real life lesson learnt. But this lesson put my ethics to test and I am glad and almost too proud to proclaim I am an individual with high ethics. Closure came in the form of the culprit involved heading to jail last October 2012. I am counting down the days to his release next year before I start my paint-pouring activities again. No, I was just kidding. But, I do have my ways to make sure he is alive to repay every single cent haha. From this incident, the phrase “desperate times call for desperate measures” became a whole new meaning to me.
For Maybelline 
On VGY, it had been my proudest achievement to date next to holding a degree. VGY definitely had her share of ups and downs. I have experienced the wave of online shopping trend and also witnessed how consumer spending have changed over the course of 4 years (VGY started in 2008). The business is definitely much more competitive now and to keep up with trends, expectations, management of inventory flow, photoshoots amongst many more are extremely stressful. Ironically, I came to a point where I envied people on a paycheck because it is more of a routine way of working than having to manage a business on your own. This year upon graduation, the meaning of managing VGY came to a new high when I focused my efforts on sourcing designs, meeting suppliers to come up with more manufactured designs.

Let me take a memory lane down the manufactured designs this year since I started on this path in August: 

The first design I started on - I love maxis and have a crazy obsession for anything floral. I thought what better way to marry them together and make a dream dress. I was ecstatic when the dress arrived! :*)

Rumi Veil Floral Maxi in LAvenderRumi Veil Floral Maxi in Coral

It was also VGY’s 4th birthday on this collection and I managed to rope in Maybelline and Vanity Trove for a collaboration! It was not easy to get past self doubts on getting big brands to work with VGY when blogshops have became so common nowadays. Everyone have times when they doubt themselves much less me – I am only a human being. 
I was elated when Maybelline gave the nod to work together (they offered goodie bags in higher retail values to VGY than those given out to other blogshops and gave me exclusivity in launching their products first). And of course many props to Vanity Trove who have provided 5 troves with wonderful products just for VGY customers :*) This 100th collection was such a milestone for me and perhaps one of the most meaningful things that happened in 2012.

Then came the extremely popular Amelia Peplum Skirts which sold like hotcakes.

I wanted more florals so I decided to manufacture a huge bunch of floral designs. 
I cannot stress how much I love this pair of shorts. I kept 3pcs each of my size in XS in both colors haha. I love wearing shorts especially when they are in florals!


My second floral maxi this year and it was so well-received! :*)
Anyone wants this in a new print for 2013? Hee.



Also manufactured my own tiffany green colored blazer. I have always wanted to own a blazer in that gorgeous color so I thought why not do it myself?


Somewhere in October, I made high waisted floral shorts in a very pretty and dainty fabric with trimming. For the life of me, I kept all 3 colors and 2pcs each in my size :/


Then, Kennie became part of VGY :*)
Many customers have concerns over sizing matters in VGY as many have known me to be extremely petite. It is actually a matter of perception. The sizing of M & L sizes are not enough to change the perception of many customers and potential ones at VGY as it is hard to imagine the clothes in bigger sizes when it looks perfectly snug on me. Therefore came the decision to find a model of ideal proportions – and Kennie fitted the bill. 

One of my favourite dresses this year worn by Kennie below. 
A unique manufacturing technique was utilized by stretching then hot pressing the lace to a thicker backing fabric so they become one piece together ;)


Remember the floral shorts I mentioned earlier? I wanted exclusivity to the fabric so entire blot of fabric was bought down so no other suppliers or any other blogshop owners could use the similar fabric. At this point of time, there may be more of this fabric else where but my point was being the first to own it ;) 
So the remaining fabric was used to make this cute preppy floral dress!


Somewhere in late October, I developed a sudden obsession in white boyfriend shirts. But I don’t like how John’s white shirt (1) is always too big on me (2) does not have a flattering waist cut (3) looks extremely boring. So I decided to make my own and add a twist with peeking lace. I chose a fabric thick enough for presentable corporate image but yet thick enough to wear on its own…without any lingerie underneath ;) haha now you know – that’s the whole point.


I got bored with the usual peplum tops. So I added in satin trimmings at the hems and manufactured a structured look peplum top in white and florals.


For the year end, my mood board was full of romantic laces and so I translated that into manufacturing exquisite lace dresses.
Thank you for the great response to this lace number! ;) 


And I decided to dabble in manufacturing rompers since they are my favourite next to maxis. The response was extremely quick and overwhelming that it caught me by surprise! Thank you for supporting VGY's first manufactured romper!
The last collection in 2013 features mostly self manufactured items which was quite a mad rush for the manufacturing end to fly the stocks back to sg! I have always loved body hugging dresses but trust me, nothing fits me snugly from H&M, Topshop, Dorothy Perkins, Miss Selfridge, Forever 21 etc. It will always be a tad too big for me. So I decided to make my own year end body hugging party dress from XS all the way to L size. Haha, talk about revenge on these big brands. The cutting of this dress is extremely flattering and I worn it out so many times – for Salon Vim’s Bugis outlet opening, for my birthday, for year end, for weekend date nights with John.


Last of all, I have always wanted a body hugging shift dress that will make me look like a power career woman at her best. And since it is the year end, I decided to make this dress in a kickass glittery fabric. It took some time to find the perfect fabric but it was worth it!

Speaking about career woman, you must be wondering why would I need dresses like that when I do not have to adhere to any office attire ;) It is because………………………………..
I have made some plans for 2013. I talked to a few close friends about it and it has spurred my determination to “find a way out”. Yes, it is to find my way out to a better future – to better utilize my time, to widen my social network, to expand my knowledge and to be in tune with the market trend. I will only let you know what it is once I successfully turn this into reality :) My plan for 2013 is pretty solid and I hold good faith that I’ll see to a route of success or even better than that, “a way out”. John is extremely supportive about it (that’s all I need) and I believe with his encouragement and optimism, 2013 will be a great year for me!

Another memorable thing to commemorate and be thankful for in 2012 was…successfully getting our house. It has the most awesome seaview at the highest floor and other than such material comfort, what is important is it gives us a direction of where we will be heading together into the future. With an upcoming house, it teaches us how to plan for such a huge expense, how to go around with a sturdy saving plan and what we can both do collectively to get there in the next 2-3 years. Many nights, John and I would have our essential heart to heart talks where we listened, talked, understand and encourage each other. These heart-to-heart talks are extremely important to us and they give me strength to carry on no matter how arduous the route may be. Have you been talking to your other half? :)

On my relationship with John, 2012 marks a new chapter for us as we became more sure of our love for each other and the promise to walk the future together. We do have our ups and downs which you really don’t wish to know haha (like the one I smashed his windscreen). Like all couples, we quarrel, we scream and we get fuming crazy mad with one another. In fact, the last few days of 2012 was living hell for us no thanks to some brazen individual – some people just cross that line knowingly. I know I said this post will be honest to the bone but some things are too much for me to reveal. However, I have learnt to take things in my stride :)  I AM in fact thankful that last few days of 2012 WAS a living hell because our love has grown even stronger. I am writing this down at the expense of being completely transparent about our lives as I know alot of couples around me are undergoing difficult times. I just want to say never give up on your relationship as tribulations come at the disguise of “difficult times” to teach you how to love a person and how to maintain a relationship. Get past it and you will find yourself falling in love all over again. 

Some of the people I have to be thankful for in 2012:

felicia

Felicia – Thank you for always listening to me. I know I talked alot when I see you because I really can’t stop blabbering. I have so many words penned up inside me (that gets stored up for….months on end) because you know I talk to no one else except you so thank you for listening to me. Thank you for always standing on my side and being there. It is so easy to talk to you and cry because it is so easy to let go in front of you.  Sorry I had said mean stuff in a fit of my horrible anger temper but you know I don’t mean it! Thank you for being my one and only best friend! :*) I am always so happy to see you! I am glad we have studied together, danced together, loved together and graduate together in year 2012! We are the living testament that best friends do everything together even when they are not by each other’s side!


with eve

Yvonne aka Eve – My one and only right hand angel. It wasn’t easy finding someone who can be so dedicated to the job and most importantly someone whom I can trust. Thank you for sticking by my side and you are one of the best things that happened to me in 2012. I hope I've  taught you well on customer service and interpersonal communication skills. Most importantly, I hope these skills will  serve you well in your future career (although I don’t ever want you to leave haha). Not many I have seen can communicate fluently virtually and I see you have the potential to become a good PR executive. Having been by my side for half the year, you still have not learnt to put on makeup hahaha. Have I not influenced you even the slightest bit? :p

Serene & Matt – We need to take a photo together! THREE of us! Thank you for being my partners. Vainpot Boutique will not be where she is today without the both of you. We run the world together! Looking back, we have been friends for close to 3 years now (how fast time passes)! Man, thinking about those nights when we stayed overnight in Vainpot tagging stocks and doing household cleaning – so memorable aren’t they? :) I could do this forever with you guys! <3


photo

John – Thank you for being the love of my life. We never stop reminiscing about how dramatic we finally got together in the end haha. For us, what seemed to start off as a wrong romance to most will blossom beautifully and we are halfway there. You taught me to be always have faith in my heart and to be optimistic. Being optimistic is a concept which I truly came to understand at the end of 2012; a breakthrough I would say as it made me see there is light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you for always giving me beautiful Sundays by waking up early together for brunch and planning activities later in the day – it makes me want to work hard for the week so the beautiful Sunday will come even faster. Thank you for imparting me a lifelong skill – driving. Under your guidance, I have learnt to drive like a race queen haha. I can go on saying so many thank yous (you know it) but I believe a long kiss and hug will suffice, right? I love you so much, to the moon and back :*)

To my readers – Thank you for being so supportive although I do not blog often. I am amazed many of you still come back to read haha. During one of the blogging saga in 2012, many came to my rescue and even took time to email me with kind words. To those whom have touched my heart, thank you :*) I have something special for you at the end of this post!

To my VGY customers – Thank you for supporting VGY although there are 40,000+ other blogshops in Singapore! I have always been extremely thankful I have really gracious and kind customers. I have heard many horror stories from fellow blogshop owners who experienced unreasonable customers through the year but VGY customers are quite the understanding and gracious bunch! :*) Many customers even took time to wish me on my birthday, drop me encouraging notes in their emails to me and even came down specially to Vainpot Boutique just to say hi! Thank you every single one of you! :*) A couple of loyal customers I could remember your names by heart – Sw, Edna Lee, Shannen, Jade Peh, Eunice Yeo, Eunice Ong, Sarah Tok, Siying, Eunice Low, Aaralyn, Eileen Ng, Alicia, Cherish, Jingwen, Rena Pay, Shu Juan, Daphanie, April, Veronica Sng, Ally, Ng Jie Hui, Jinghuai, Corina, Sabrina, Zoe Zuee, Rosental, Simin, Chanee Yap, Michelle Fei, Doreen Cheah, Rin Ang, Elyn Chew. Phew~ that was a mouthful! Of course, there are many more which your email addresses have became a familiarity to me (sorry if I have not mentioned you!) and everytime I see you place an order, it puts a smile on my face and I will mouth my thankfulness under my breath :*) VGY has came so far many thanks to your support. I personally have a list of customers whom I would like to invite to my wedding few years down the road! I would love to see and thank you personally! :*)

Of course there are many many others I am thankful for like my suppliers who have been helping me with VGY manufactured stocks, customers who leave me constructive feedback (sorry I can’t reply to all but I do read every single one of them and it all gets me thinking all the time!), kind souls who drop me encouraging messages (to name one, Daphne deaf.knee), Melvin from Multifolds Photography whose timely appearance brings VGY photography to a whole new level, Kennie who came onboard VGY as our model was amongst many others who have touched my life in a way or so in 2012. 

The crazy bunch (I will never forget the wild things we did on bachelorette’s night o_o )
alices

The beautiful Gushcloud bloggers whom I have became friends with :) Everyone is extremely friendly, funny and fun to be with!
bali

The mad bunch. Seriously I don’t know what to say of us. Just thinking of us together makes me laugh out loud haha.
classmates

The precious Heroine Make girls whom I feel so happy to see everytime! 
Thank you Heroine Make for bringing us together! :*)
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA 

Thankful for events invitations that allow me to meet new friends :*)
Johnny Walker Circuit Lounge party night was a night to remember! 
On the side note, I love seeing couples getting together, married blissfully and Lianie (most left) just got married! Congratulations! May you have an everlasting blissful marriage with the love of your life! <3
johnnywalker

I don’t really meet that many people in a year so I can count the events of my life and the people I meet by 2 hands haha. But that will change in 2013 because of the plans I have made for this new year! I pray to succeed and be given the strength to conquer whatever comes my way :)

Lastly, I know this comes abit too late but better late than never!
I have prepared 5 bags of presents for my readers! The bags will contain makeup goodies from various brands, skincare products, hair care products and some of my special cult makeup products! To name a few brands, Penhaligon, Loreal, Maybelline, Heroine Make, MAC, SAEM, Laline etc) The items inside each bag is different! I hope you will like what I have prepared! It is a small gesture compared to your support all these years! 

Simply email in to me at tricia@vgystore.com or vaingloriousyou@gmail.com and let me know which of my blogposts left the greatest impression on you! I will choose the 5 lucky winners and announce here on 31 January! :) 
Before I end off, I hope all my readers will be blessed with a smooth sailing 2013! For those who are studying, to pass with flying colors, to those who are working to be blessed with a prosperous year, and lastly to those who are married or in love, to forever have love in your heart! :*)

With Love,
Tricia

5 comments

Post a Comment


~